So TGIT (Thank God It’s Thursday) is a thing. Thursday. That fabulous day when you’re so close to the weekend you can almost taste it. It’s the new Friday, bringing all sorts of naughty little cravings that you usually manage to keep at bay till your Friday night. Innocent as it sounds, it could be wrecking havoc with reaching your fitness goals. If you’re regularly reaching for junk on a Thursday night, that extends your slightly relaxed ‘weekend eating’ to a 4 day junk fest.
If you find yourself craving a little something sweet, here’s my simple, healthy recipe to keep you on the health wagon (till Friday at least). My friends go nuts for this substitute ice cream; super easy and surprisingly delicious banana ‘nice’ cream. You could even go crazy and have it on a Monday!
Banana ‘Nice’ Cream (makes 1 serving)
- 1 ready frozen ripe banana
- 2 tbsp non fat plain Greek yoghurt (Fage is my personal favorite)
- 2 chopped dates (stone removed)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of almond butter (optional)
- Blend the frozen banana and yoghurt together using a food processor
- Add the chopped dates and cinnamon
- Serve in a bowl adding the almond butter on top if desired
Take that Thursday! You can have your sweet treat and eat it without completely demolishing the hard work you’ve put in all week. Enjoy!
Sending health & happiness, Kim x
So no one could ever accuse you of having a lazy bone in your body. You’re the definition of the Energizer bunny, the superhero, the “do everything” type. Up at the crack of dawn, down to the gym, before hop skipping to work. Not to mention that huge to-do list you attack outside the office. Suddenly your skip in your step is a weary foot shuffle. You’ve been at the gym for months and worked hard to keep to a healthy diet, and still… no progress. Sound familiar? Here’s the one thing you’re superpowers are missing…SLEEP!
Just chill for a second. You can only do so much. You are only one person. One of my favorite sayings a yoga teacher once told me was: “you’re doing the best with what you’ve got”. So those niggly non-critical emails and texts might not get replied to today. So you may have to skip the drink with a friend to go to the gym. So the gym just might not happen today. Beating yourself up and stressing about it will only make matters worse for your body.
If you’re struggling to meet your fitness aims then sleep could be a major factor. Although nutrition and exercise are undoubtedly the key to weight loss and needed to ‘tone what you own’, sleep is the number one most important factor. Fitness and nutrition without sleep is like superman without his ability to fly. If that early morning gym session turns your 8 hours kip to more like a 5-6 hour one then you’re probably best to catch up on those zzz’s, you’ll start seeing more results in no time, here’s why….
Top 4 reasons sleep is THE most important thing for a better body:
- You need energy for your workouts to get your best performance. If you’re taking in less calories your energy is already lower. Combine that with not getting adequate sleep then you’re going to really struggle to bring your A game to your workout.
- When we sleep our body is rebuilding the torn muscle tissues that we create during exercise. Sleep is fundamental for your bodies recovery. Sleep ensures your body repairs itself properly so that you don’t run the risk of overtraining. It also means you don’t start your next workout off at a disadvantage.
- Sleep loss has been shown to increase stress in the body. Cortisol secretion is higher, which in turn breaks down the bodies tissues. This means it can cause muscle mass loss; so the very muscles you’re trying to build are being decreased.
- Sleep deprivation is responsible for a number of hormone and metabolism changes. This has an effect on appetite and hunger. Those who have struggled to sleep the night before may still feel hungry even when they’re full because of this.
By no means is this a ‘get out of gym free’ card, but its certainly something to ponder if you’re run ragged most of the time. Studies have shown that many overweight people are sleep deprived – coincidence? Not likely. Sleep is the single biggest way your body can reward you for all your fitness and nutrition efforts.
Make sure you’re getting as close to 7-9 hours sleep a night as possible, your inner superhero wants to fly!
Sending health & happiness,
Happy Friday guys! The end of the week means one thing: weekend brunches are around the corner (Hooray!!) Brunch is one of my favorite things to do in New York. If you’re staying cosy inside out of the cold you can still ‘brunch like a boss’ with this healthy baked egg recipe. Super simple. Totally delicious.
Baked Eggs (makes 2 servings)
You will need:
- 6 x eggs
- A handful of mushrooms
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- A handful of spinach
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 4 tbsp tomatoe puree (chopped tomatoes will also work)
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using the coconut oil fry off the mushrooms, tomatoes and red onion in a pan.
- Once soft, place these in the ramekins with the sliced avocado & then the spinach layered on top (equally divided between the two dishes).
- Spoon the tomatoes on top of your layer of mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, spinach and avocado. Bake for 5 mins.
- Remove ramekins from the oven. Crack 3 eggs per ramekin carefully on top.
- Place in the oven at 350F. Cook until the whites are set but yolks are still runny (about 15-18 minutes). Turn the ramekins half way through adding the Parmesan if desired.
Serve by itself or with your favorite fresh bread and get brunching! Sourdough is my personal fave. I also like to sprinkle some chilli to give it a cheeky kick! Make yours just how you like it. Have a wonderful weekend.
Sending health & happiness,
My ‘Grab & Go’ Overnight Oats
Having been away for a lot of the summer it’s so nice to be back in my apartment cooking my favorite healthy foods. As a personal trainer and fitness model people often ask me what I have for breakfast. Breakfast is one of the most important parts of a healthy lifestyle, it gets you set up and ready for whatever the day has to bring. Breakfast is an absolute must if your looking to get in shape. It stops you over eating later on in the day and ensures you start your day with a nutritious punch fueling mind, body & spirit.
One of my firm favs is “Overnight Oats”. Super simple, super tasty. They just need a touch of prep the night before, but no fuss, no muss in the morning…you’re off out the door ready & raring for your day! It’s great for breakfast to eat at home, as a “grab-and-go” brekkie or even as a healthy airport bite if you’ve got an early flight to catch – although from previous experience; better to eat it pre security check!
Here’s how I make this breakfast beaut:
Overnight Oats (makes 2 servings)
- 2 tbsp of steel cut or rolled oats
- 1 small cup of almond milk
- 1 small cup of water
- 1 chopped banana
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Handful of blueberries
1) Place in a bowl: oats, almond milk, banana, cinnamon, chia seeds & flax seeds
2) Stir ingredients
3) Leave to rest in the fridge “overnight” (geddit!?)
4) Hey presto; in the morning add almond butter & blueberries
Done deal. That’s it! Super simple, super easy, super healthy. You’ll be surprised at how delicious it is. Much better for digestion too. Massive everyday winner.
Sending health & happiness, Kim x
Heading down under for some Sydney sunshine? Then make sure you don’t miss a Tone What You Own (TWYO) favorite; Hip Hop Yoga at Yoga 213. Here’s why….
Ever thought you would get Jay-z or Snoop along side you at your favorite yoga studio, just going with the flow? Well that’s exactly what goes down at Yoga 213 with their rather awesome ‘Hip Hop Yoga’ affair. They give you classes dedicated to the love of yoga and all things hip-hop. Not only does the yoga make you feel darn right fantastic, but you can catch those extra happy UV rays on the balcony outside the studio pre or post class.
Getting all ‘eagle-y’ to Dre might be a little unorthodox? Yes. But for those who love to “tune in while they tune out” this hip hopping yoga studio is a crazy cool little gem right in the heart of Bondi Junction. Playing hip hop tunes new and legendary, it will definitely get you wiggling your tail feathers mid eagle and coming out with a zen-y smile on your face.
With intro classes starting from $25 for 10 days or $99 for a month of unlimited classes, you’d be ‘cray cray’ not to check it. So why not “drop down and get your eagle on” at Yoga213? Also available in Melbourne.
Sending health & happiness,
Shop 4 / 360 Oxford Street Bondi Junction, NSW, Australia 2022 Ph.(02) 9386 5771